Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Green goodness

I know a spinach smoothie sounds disgusting, but you really need to try this. I got this recipe from a friend a long time ago and didn't dare try it because it just sounded gross, but I'm glad I finally tried it. Dallin wants to make one almost every day- no joke. Granted, he loves the part where he gets to dump the spinach and fruit in the blender, but he also drinks his entire cup of smoothie because he likes it and he's used to it now. Spinach is so good for you and this is an easy way to get more veggies. The recipe is a guideline- we usually add more berries (or peaches) and sometimes another banana (only because I try to sneak more spinach in the smoothie each time we make one). If you're making it for kids you may want to work your way up to the 2 C of spinach so it's not too overwhelming for them. We usually double the recipe for the 3 of us. Yum!

In a blender add:
1 C. Orange juice
2 C. Fresh spinach (not frozen)

Blend well then add:
1 banana
1/4 C frozen raspberries
1/4 C frozen blueberries

Blend again and enjoy!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Ooooh, I am going to have to try that. I am continually trying to find ways to sneak veggies into my kids diet. It has been quite a struggle. Thanks for the great idea.

Emily said...

Um . . . it does sound kind of gross, but I will have to give it a try when I move back to the states and have access to fresh spinach!

Anonymous said...

so I skeptically tied it (only because of my great trust in you) and it changed my life. I can run faster and jump higher. You always manage to change my life.

Anonymous said...

I tried this, and it is DELICIOUS! Melanie is a REALLY good cook and she loves yummy things like us all, but somehow manages to make yummy things HEALTHY TOO! It's a real talent. She needs to start a health food business. She's got the brains. Like, she could name ten foods that contain both vitamin b1 and amino acids with low trans fat that is grown on an organic, free-range peruvian farm! I love this girl!